After two bad outings, the Cards seemed to pull things together this afternoon with a 2-0 win over the Padres.
The best part of it all though? Jaime Garcia got the complete game shut out.
Cards fans held their breath as the team went to the top of the ninth as they saw Ryan Franklin warming up and David Freese coming out of the dugout to possibly pinch hit for Garcia.
But thankfully, Tony thought twice and let Garcia finish it out. The Cardinals got another run and Garcia threw a great ninth to seal the victory.
Now for the good, bad and ugly!
* Chris got to see a win along with fellow United Cardinal Bloggers! I am certain a good time was had by all.
* As mentioned earlier, Garcia got the complete game shut out. Emily was hard to contain on Twitter as her favorite pitcher got the job done today.
* Yadi. Yadier was able to keep his pitcher calm and focused when he seemed to start to become frazzled. Good veteran leadership from our cather.
* Daniel Descalso proved to be a formidable back-up to Freese!
* The Cards were able to avoid starting the season winless!
* Theriot had a few blunders today, but I noticed he had a couple of good plays in the later innings. Was it the sun or a bad throw from Skip? Who knows. Either way, his defense is concerning. We may need to have a ceremony to officially get the Bad-Cubbie-Joo-Joo off of him.
* Not much!
I say nothing was ugly, because that was a good team effort by the Cardinals. We hope they keep up the good work! The Pirates are up next … they just took 2 of 3 from the Cubs!
Miranda covers Cardinals baseball for Aaron Miles Fastball. Follow her on the twitter, @missmiranda