What do Allen Craig and Tony Cruz have in common with the St. Louis weather?
They are all HOT!
It was 106 at game time in St. Louis. Whew!
But most importantly, Allen Craig is continuing his impressive pace. He was 3 for 4 on Saturday including knocking two doubles off of Carlos Zambrano.
And Tony Cruz continued his tear to prove he deserves to be in the line up as much as is possible when Yadier Molina is your main catcher. Cruz hit a game winning triple to score David Freese and Skip Schumaker and give the Cardinals the lead. The team never turned back.
Now I have a few other things to talk with you about on this game and I might even throw in a small discussion on something else I’ve noticed!
* Kyle Lohse. Rolling into July and K-Lo is still good! I’m sure I’m not the only happy one about this little bit if information. Kyle is 9-2 on the season. And specifically on Saturday, he pitched seven innings, struck our four, gave up three hits that included giving up a two-run shot to Justin Ruggiano.
* The Bullpen. Mitchell Boggs was able to hold it down. He gave up a hit and struck out one. Boggs seems to have really taken to his role as a set up guy for Motte. Knowing the role you play is all some people need and this might be the case for Boggs because, knock on wood, he’s been a lot better. And Jason Motte created a little drama before getting his 20th save of the season. He gave up two hits and struck out one.
* The Bottom of the Fourth Inning. With Carlos Zambrano on the mound, the Cardinals led off the inning with a single from Allen Craig. David Freese gets walked. Skip Schumaker singled to left field allowing Craig to score. Tony Cruz tripled driving in Freese and Skip. And that’s all the Cardinals would need!
* David Freese. The All-Star. He got on base four times. Granted, two occasions he got on base were because he got hit by a pitch from Carlos Zambrano. I thought Big Z had calmed down? Hmmph. Freese did walk in the fourth inning and he hit a single in the eighth. Freesey is proving he did deserve a shot to go to KC.
* Tyler Greene. Yeah. We have to talk about him a little bit. He is not getting to play a lot. And it’s starting to concern me.
Prepare yourselves. I think Tyler is breaking out his journal, chewing on that pink pen and cranking out some serious poetry. Here’s some more from the journal of Tyler Greene! Enjoy!
What do I do now that I’m not playing ball?
Will I go to the mall? Will I go to the casino, and bring home a haul?
Til then, Coach Mike, I’ll be on call!
Miranda Remaklus is lead St. Louis Cardinals contributor to Aaron Miles’ Fastball. She’s also lead writer at Aerys Offsides in the NFL section. Follow her on Twitter, @missmiranda.