A lousy first inning for Adam Wainwright was all the Brewers needed to take the series from the Cardinals. The Brew Crew defeated the Cardinals 4-3.
Yes. It was a bad game. But we do have a few things to discuss so… here we go!
* Said First Inning. Norichika Aoki reached first on a fielding error by Rafael Furcal. Nyjer “Please” Morgan singles. Aramis Ramirez gets hit by a pitch to load the bases. Corey Hart singles to score Nyjer and Aoki. It’s now 2-0. The Cardinals get a couple of outs. And the Carlos Gomez reaches on another fielding error by Furcal. This scores Ramirez and Hart. Lance Berkman missed a catch which resulted in a third error in the inning. It was 4-0. How horrible. Jeez. Seems to be a good time for a day off on Thursday. Furcal … and the team for that matter … could use it!
* Adam Wainwright. After the first inning, Waino seemed Bueno … errr… he really turned it around. No. Seriously. He pitched seven innings. And he struck out nine. It’s too bad the first inning and a lack of timely hitting by the lineup screwed him. To be honest.
* 14 is a serious number. There are two guys who always seem to do well against the Milwaukee Brewers. And they did Wednesday. David Freese homered in the second inning. This was his 14th homer of the season. And, in the third inning, Allen Craig homered in the third inning. This was his 14th homer of the season.
* An attempted 9th inning comeback? Skip Schumaker started the inning with a strike out. Carlos Beltran doubled. Furcal walked. Holliday struck out swinging. Allen Craig walks and his replaced by pinch runner, Tyler Greene. Freese walked. And with the bases loaded Lance Berkman stepped to the plate. … He flies out.
Lance really should have thought about the team and taken the assignment to AA. His timing is way off and his frustration at the plate just shows.
* Trevor Rosenthal. He made his major league debut today! He pitched one inning and struck out two. Including a filthy, 100 mph fastball that left Corey Hart stunned.
The Cardinals look to getting back on the winning track this weekend as the Chicago Cubs come to town. Kyle Lohse is scheduled to take the mound against Ryan Dempster. Go Cards!
Miranda Remaklus is lead St. Louis Cardinals contributor to Aaron Miles’ Fastball. She’s also lead writer for Aerys Offsides in the NFL section. Follow her on Twitter, @missmiranda.