A win for a shaky pitcher. A big save for the closer. Big hits. Yes, the Cardinals earned their sweep over the Houston Astros in spectacular fashion as they defeated the ‘Stros 5-4.
* Jaime Garcia. He earned his fifth victory of the season Thursday afternoon. He pitched six innings, giving up six hits and three earned runs. He walked three but struck out five. Garcia. Jaime and the defense got into several jams but each time managed to work their way out with minimal damage. I’d say this performance, plus his no-decision over the weekend in Los Angeles, are good confidence builders for the young pitcher. He seriously needs it.
* Motte and Salas. These two gentlemen did stellar work out of the ‘pen. Fernando Salas pitched two-thirds of the eighth inning. He struck out both batters he faced. And Jason Motte earned his 38th save of the year as he pitched the ninth inning. Motte gave up one hit but struck out three. Awesome work from The Closer!
* Allen Craig. The Wrench hit his 22nd homer of the season during the first inning. It was a three-run blast to left center field. And it was a beauty. Check it out here!
* Carlos Beltran. Beltran knocked a two-run double in the sixth inning to score Pete Kozma and Daniel Descalso. It was Beltran’s 26th double of the season.
* Yadier Molina. He picked off Jose Altuve in the fourth inning. It was awesome. Check it out here!
Now remember… if you haven’t heard, the Cards play the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley at 1:20 p.m. Central. The Cardinals have some guy by the name of Chris Carpenter taking the mound for the first time this season.
Go Carp! Go Cards! Beat the Cubs!
Miranda Remaklus is lead St. Louis Cardinals contributor for Aaron Miles’ Fastball. She’s also lead writer for Aerys Offsides in the NFL section. Follow her on Twitter, @missmiranda.