The Cardinals started off their last series with the Houston Astros as a divisional rival in fitting fashion … with a big win. The Cardinals won 6-1 over the Astros as Lance Lynn earned his 17th victory of the season.
Have a few points to discuss, so let’s get to it.
* David Freese. So, Freesey was removed from the game and replaced by Matt Carpenter prior to the first pitch. According to Freese’s statement on the FSMW post game show, the third baseman was doing some stretching and getting ready to take the field. He stepped into an uneven surface, rolled his ankle and was in some significant pain. He got his ankle x-rayed and it can back negative. Freese smiled as he told Pat Paris that he hoped to ice it and feel better Tuesday but he may have to sit a couple of days.
This is scary news to consider when recalling his injury history with those ankles. It may be time to reconsider bubble wrapping the ankles of our favorite World Series MVP!
* Pete Kozma. Don’t know what’s gotten into this kid, but it’s hard not to like him! Pete blasted a two-run homer in the second inning and scored Daniel Descalso, who tripled in Matt Carpenter. This is Pete’s second career homer, which comes a day after hitting his first major league homer in Chicago’s Wrigley Field on Sunday.
* Yadier Molina. Yadi blasted his 21st home run of the season in the fourth inning. Amazing when you consider he left the game Saturday with back spasms after moving funny to avoid getting plunked by a pitch.
* Matt Holliday. Matty singled to center to score Kozma and Lynn. Holliday ended up at second and Jon Jay at third on a throwing error by Astros Center fielder Brian Bogusevic.
* Jon Jay. He made another amazing play in center. Check it out here.
* Lynn And The ‘Pen. The Wolf Pup threw seven innings, gave up five hits and one earned run. He struck out nine batters. Think it’s safe to say, Lance Lynn is back to his awesome pitching ways. Sam Freeman and Trevor Rosenthal each pitched scoreless frames to close out the game.
* Tuesday. Jaime Garcia takes on Lucas Harrell and the Astros at Minute Maid Park. The game starts at 7:05 p.m. Central and will be televised on FSMW.
Enjoy! Go Cards!