Kyle Helisek, selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 30th round of the 2012 First-Year Player Draft out of Villanova University, started 23 games for the Chiefs in 2013. He finished the year with a 3.13 ERA in 129.1 innings pitched with a 2.92 Strikeout-to-walk ration, and a 70.7 Left on Base Percentage. …it appears he enjoys those strikeouts! Let’s find out what else he enjoys.
20 Questions: Kyle Helisek (
1. How did you get started in baseball?
When I was five or six I just signed up for T-Ball and it turned out to be my favorite sport.
2. Who was your biggest influence growing up?
My dad. Even now he still throws with me.
3. When/how did you decide you wanted to pursue this career?
In high school I decided to try to get a scholarship to play baseball and continued to progress from there.
4. How did you react when your dream of playing pro ball was first achieved?
It was an unbelievable experience. Very memorable. I’ll never forget it.
5. What do you remember about your first professional game?
I remember being really nervous and trying to tell myself it is just like college. But yeah, I’ll never forget it.
6. What has been your favorite moment in baseball, professional or otherwise?
I’d say winning the state championship in high school when our whole team was really close to each other. We were a good group of friends so it was great to win state.
7. Biggest fan?
8. Biggest inspiration?
I don’t really have one.
9. Describe yourself as a baseball player in five words or less.
Good teammate and hard worker.
10. What is your biggest baseball pet peeve?
Trying to bunt with a no hitter and when the hitter squares around to bunt with a 3-0 count.
11. Have any superstitions?
12. What is your favorite pitch to throw?
Fastball first strike.
13. From your experience what is the hardest thing about baseball?
14. Who is the most impressive guy you’ve played with?
15. What has been the best moment this season?
I’d say just maybe not necessarily stats wise but I feel good working on something with (Simontacchi) and just using it in the game. Whether I do good or bad it is just a good feeling to come out of the game and hear them say “good job, you did what we talked about.”
16. Tell me something you learned throughout this season?
The biggest thing about pitching I learned is keeping the ball down and trusting your stuff.
17. You spend a lot of time on the bus. What’s the best way to pass the time?
Listening to music and watching a movie on your Ipad or the computer.
18. Much is made throughout the organization about “The Cardinal Way.” What does that mean to you?
I think they do a good job working with and developing players and I’m just proud to be part of the organization.
19. What is something people would be surprised to learn about you?
I like to play guitar.
20. Any exciting offseason plans?
Not right now but I might be moving down to Florida.
Best of luck this next season, Kyle!
Tara is a St. Louis Cardinals reporter for Aaron Miles’ Fastball. Follow her on twitter @tarawellman, and Follow AMF on Facebook!
Pingback: Cardinals best news and links: New Years Eve edition | CardinalsFarm
Pingback: Ranking the top 8 left-handed starters in the Cardinals organization | CardinalsFarm
That was a great intervue.