Let’s face it — there’s one thing, and only one thing, anyone cares about from yesterday’s Cardinals 2-0 win over the Giants. Oscar Taveras. (Ah, poor Michael Wacha — so last year now, other than the damn rain delays you cause every single start … )
And with so much coverage about Oscar out there, given his performance in his debut, trying to find a new angle to write about was a challenge. So I gave up.
Here, instead, are links to everyone else’s coverage — from the St. Louis writers and Cards bloggers to national coverage, since you know you want to read it all — starting, of course, with the most memorable home run since the most recent Cards walk-off or Rick Ankiel’s in his debut as an outfielder.
Video of Oscar’s second at-bat, complete with slow motion of that beautiful swing and the tears of joy falling as rain from the heavens over such a fantastic hit.
- Game wrap-up
- Patience rewarded: Taveras makes MLB debut, homers
- Heralded by hype, Taveras rises to occasion
St. Louis Post-Dispatch/STLToday.com:
- Game story by Derrick Goold
- Bernie Miklasz: Taveras gets right into the swing of things
- Cardinal Beat blog
- Photo gallery
Fox Sports Midwest:
- Taveras’ big-league debut: So that’s what all the fuss is about
- Wacha beats rain, Cardinals top Giants 2-0
STL Sports Page – Rob Rains:
- Taveras’ Hype Meets Reality – At Least For His First Day In Majors
- Game recap
- Home Run By Taveras In Debut Gives Goosebumps To Mike Shildt
- ESPN: game recap
- ESPN: Taveras debut triggers big Cards questions
- Yahoo: Oscar Taveras homers in MLB debut, receives curtain call from Cardinals fans
- CBS Sports: Oscar Taveras swats towering home run in MLB debut
- Hardball Talk: Oscar Taveras homers in his second major league at-bat
- Fangraphs NotGraphs: Oscar Taveras Not Uncertain About First Home Run
- SB Nation: Oscar Taveras homers in first major league game for Cardinals
- Viva El Birdos: Cardinals vs. Giants Recap: Oscarpe Diem!
- Viva El Birdos: Bottle Caps & Cathedral Ceilings: On St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospect Oscar Taveras
- Viva El Birdos: All the Oscar Taveras news that’s fit to print…
- Mad Em-Dashes: Oscar Taveras, Number 18, and the Greatest Cardinals of All Time
- Redbird Rants: Oscar Taveras Goes Deep in First Career Game
- Cheap Seats Blog: Game 56: Cardinals 2, Giants 0
- Cards Conclave: Day One of the Age of Oscar
- Cards Conclave: The Burden of Expectation
- Cardinals Farm: Oscar Taveras and Michael Wacha Steal the Show as Cardinals Shut Out Giants
Other Cards blogs:
By the time you read all that, today’s game will be ready to start. The Cardinals go for the split of the four games with the Giants as Lance Lynn takes the mound for the first time following his complete game shutout of the Yankees last Tuesday — but this time with Oscar behind him. Tim Hudson pitches for the Giants, with game time at 1:15 p.m.